Saturday, May 11, 2013

New Discovery

Today I had Dave set up the slip and slide so that Sophie would be distracted from today's loss of privilege--the TV. I thought Sabrina might enjoy the water too. Well, she wasn't such a fan. So what do you do when your kid doesn't want to play? You let her eat the grass while you take pictures of her, of course! And that's what we did.
And then I made a discovery. My backyard has perfect photographic lighting in the hot afternoon.
 


Every time I have tried taking pictures in the backyard I have always been disappointed with the lackluster. Our backyard is always covered in shadow at sundown, and I never venture out to exciting places during that sweet golden hour. I'm usually cooking dinner, or eating dinner, or trying to get little people to eat their dinner...


But this afternoon our giant pine tree was filtering the harsh sun and splattering light onto our somewhat green grass. It was a lovely backdrop. Luckily, Sabrina is a willing and (most importantly!) an immobile subject so I was able to get some good bokeh.

Tomorrow, I will ask (aka bribe) Sophie to sit still for me around 3 in the afternoon.

  I know that the one above is slightly out of focus, but her little smile just makes it perfect.






No comments: